14 PAST TENSE REVIEW
Telling a story. Give the correct form of the words in brackets.
01. Inside the police station, a sergeant (stand) at a desk, writing.
02. He still (write) when the constable (bring) Bert in, and he and the constable (stand) in front of the desk until the sergeant (finish).
03. Finally, he (look) up and (say) to the constable: "Where you (find) him?"
04. "He (sleep) on a bench in the park. It (be) not easy to wake him up. As I (stand) there, he just (go) on snoring. He (snore) so loudly, he (frighten) the children."
05. "(complain) anyone?"
06. "Two little old ladies (come) up to me and (tell) me that the snores (make) them nervous."
07. The sergeant (say): "A man (telephone) here and (tell) me that he (live) next to the park and the noise (cause) interference on his TV. He (ask) why we not (do) anything about it."
08. He (turn) to Bert and (ask) him if he (realise) he (be) Public Nuisance Number One.
09. Bert (reply) in a rush that he (be) a heavy sleeper, that he (work) at night, and that he (be) unable to sleep at home because his neighbour (give) piano lessons, and the students always (play) Bach preludes, and he (hate) Bach.
10. The sergeant (scratch) his head and said he (wonder) what the piano students (think) of Bert's trombone.
©English Teaching Systems September 2000