Answers. An upper intermediate student should have completed these correctly without reference to the list. If you made mistakes, or found the exercise difficult, repeat it without reference to the word list.
01. I am happy to fall in with anything you suggest.
02. Output at the factory fell off in summer.
03. I liked it. I fell for it as soon as I saw it.
04. There was no support for the plan and it fell through.
05. They were good friends until they fell out over a girl.
06. The quality of the food in that restaurant has fallen off
badly. I wouldn't recommend it.
07. The runner had to fall out of the marathon as a result of
a pulled muscle.
08. A plan to build a new factory has fallen through
because of lack of investment funds.
09. Teenagers were falling over each other to buy tickets
for the pop concert.
10. He won't agree to anything that doesn't fall in with his
11. He is the sort of young man who falls for the first
girl he meets.
12. She has fallen out with her neighbours and doesn't speak
to them any more.
©English Teaching Systems April 2000