VERBAL IDIOMS: COLLOQUIALISMS
Using the list given and a little care, the intermediate student should have got these all correct. Without the list it would be difficult.
01. The film star was well-known, a household name.
02. There's no knowing what will happen: you cannot be sure
03. I can't spend money like that: I'm not a millionaire, you know.
04. If you are in the know, you have inside information.
05. It's a skilled job, and you need quite a lot of know-how.
06. A know-all gives the impression of knowing everything, for five minutes.
07. The angry mother told the child, "Do that again and you'll know all about it."
08. This vocabulary should be known by heart.
09. He knows his own mind: once it is made up, nothing will
10. It may seem difficult, but it's quite easy once you know what's what.
11. He's spent all his life in the business, so he knows the ropes.
12. When you are there, go to the office and make yourself known.
©English Teaching Systems April 2000