ADVANCED VOCABULARY AND IDIOM QUIZ 01
Select the correct answer from the four alternatives given.
01. As times get harder we'll just have to pull in our.................
A. waistlines B. ambitions C belts D. ideas
02. I'm doing badly. I'll have to pull my... up.
A. stockings B. shoes C. socks D. trousers
03. The mud was... -deep.
A. foot B. sock C. ankle D. toe
04. He's not a pushy person. He likes to take...
A. things Iying down B. a back seat C. a long lie-in D. things backwards
05. Strikes..... prompt delivery.
A. hold up B. stop back C. reverse D. hold down
06. Two items on the agenda were... until the next meeting.
A. held over B. stopped over C. held back D put down
07. In hard times it's difficult to....
A. stop drowning B. keep floating C. keep one's head above water D. stay above water
08. I just do not understand it. I can't make... of it
A. long or short B. head or tail C. bottom or top D. fast or loose
09. Their profits are huge. They're... it.
A. lifting B. manufacturing C. crowning D. coining
10 He bought his car on the... , by hire-purchase.
A. now and now B. up and up C. never-never D. pay tomorrow
11. He has made a mistake, and must face the...
A. hardship B. music C. noise D. play
12. Don't... horses in midstream.
A. shoot B. over-burden C. gallop D. swop
13. This car has gone to..... It won't even start.
A. the devil B. seed C. pot D. earth
14. The socialists wanted to... the rich.
A drown B wet C. soak D. swamp