IDIOM QUIZ 08
Select the correct answer from the four alternatives given.
01. He'll never make a soldier; he can't march in...
A. unison B. order C. uniform D step
02. It's as sure as....
A. work is work B eggs is eggs C. taxes are taxes D. grey is grey
03 No half-measures. Let's make a clean... of it
A. sweep B. brush C. space D. start
04. Poor old Fido. He's getting long in the... and is not interested in chasing rabbits any more.
A arm B. tail C. kennel D. tooth
05 Sherlock Holmes soon got to the... of the crime
A base B. foundation C. bottom D. basement
06. Things usually get worse: it never rains but it . . .
A showers B. storms C. pours D. floods
07. She said the drugs in her suitcase must have been... there by someone else.
A. buried B. dropped C. dug D. planted
08. Are you sure he's a... person for your daughter to know?
A. proper B. right C. correct D. sure
09. On a long plane trip time hangs... on your hands
A. weightily B. dully C. heavy D. grimly
10. She did me a bad... and I'll never forgive her for it.
A. deed B. action C. act D. turn
11. They were glad to see us. They greeted us with open...
A. hands B. arms C. doors D. minds
12. I have an examination coming up: I'll have to... on things
A. bone up B. flesh out C grip hard D. take